This Blog is a companion to my author's Blog and my writing practice Blog. As a writer I try to read regular to improve my own writing and learn. You can learn a great deal about me from what I read and what I think about what I read. If you wish to purchase one of this books please use the link provided. At that point if you are looking for the book in a different format or price point you can search it there. I will still get credit. Please don't use the links Facebook piggybacks onto my posts there. I receive no compensation from them. You can also click on the Pico's Book Shop ad to access Amazon and search for any book you like.

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Hurricanes Over London



By Charles Reid
5 Stars
Historical Fiction
Teen to Adult

My children picked this book up from the second hand shelf at Value Village. It's a short book and I got hooked on it this weekend. I was favourably impressed. The hero of the story is a young boy named Jamie Davis who finds and reads his deceased grandfathers World War II journal. The story is a mix of past and present. I liked the way Jamie got to know his grandfather from the journal, learned about some history and got involved in a restoration project at the museum. I don't want to give away the whole story. What impressed me was the evident research put into the story. Charles Reid deserves a great deal of credit for creating an interesting story teaching some Canadian and world history at the same time.

I would say this story is clearly aimed at teenage boys and that is probably who would appreciate it the most. An old guy like myself can still enjoy though.


No comments:

Post a Comment