This Blog is a companion to my author's Blog and my writing practice Blog. As a writer I try to read regular to improve my own writing and learn. You can learn a great deal about me from what I read and what I think about what I read. If you wish to purchase one of this books please use the link provided. At that point if you are looking for the book in a different format or price point you can search it there. I will still get credit. Please don't use the links Facebook piggybacks onto my posts there. I receive no compensation from them. You can also click on the Pico's Book Shop ad to access Amazon and search for any book you like.

Wednesday 18 February 2015

Homeless Bird



By Gloria Whelan
5 Stars
Historical Fiction
Teen to Adult

I'm not sure historical fiction is really the proper classification for this because the culture that is depicted in this story still exists and the problems are still real as well. This book comes from my children's homeschooling curriculum and is one of my favourites.

The heroine of the story is Koly who turns thirteen at the beginning of the story. She lives in India and with the economics and culture of the day. It's time for her to be found a husband. The parents arrange a match with another family but there are ulterior motives on the other side of the exchange. Koly is married and not long after widowed. She is positive and does her best to make the most of her situation. Things reach their darkest when she is abandoned in a temple city, left to pray at the temples and live on charity.

Koly has skills though and great resilience. As is my habit I won't give away the entire story. She overcomes all the adversity and the book is brought to a very happy conclusion. Highly recommended. You'll enjoy the book.




No comments:

Post a Comment