This Blog is a companion to my author's Blog and my writing practice Blog. As a writer I try to read regular to improve my own writing and learn. You can learn a great deal about me from what I read and what I think about what I read. If you wish to purchase one of this books please use the link provided. At that point if you are looking for the book in a different format or price point you can search it there. I will still get credit. Please don't use the links Facebook piggybacks onto my posts there. I receive no compensation from them. You can also click on the Pico's Book Shop ad to access Amazon and search for any book you like.

Sunday 8 February 2015

God's Smuggler



By Brother Andrew with John & Elizabeth Sherrill
5 Stars
Historical
Teen to Adult

This book belongs to my daughter. It may have been part of her homeschooling curriculum but didn't take the time to ask her. I of course picked it up and read it myself. I think this has to rank amoung the most inspiring true story Christian books around.

The book is an autobiography with a little outside help. It tells the life story of Brother Andrew. I identified with the story very early on. He grew up in Holland and his memories of the Second World War echoed some of the stories I heard from my own parents. He talked about the men of the village hiding in the nearby swamp to avoid the Razzi. My father's family built a room in the manure pile so the men could avoid these same people. They didn't want to get pressed into Nazi service.

He served in the Dutch military after the war and became quite disillusioned. On his return he heard religious leaders speaking at various meetings and was eventually inspired to become a missionary. He went to England to be trained but was not hired on. He struck out on his own audaciously seeking to spread the gospel behind the iron curtain. In his travels he met Christians, spoke to them, encouraged them and smuggled bibles by the car full.

The book is without a doubt an inspiring tale of faith. It is a well written tale easy to read and I say that as a critic. I'm not always impressed with “Christian” books. As a Christian this is one of my favourite books. It is highly recommended of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment